Saturday, March 7, 2009

What do you shoot with?

I bought my new lens last month but now I'm struggling with whether or not I should buy a new camera.

Let me rephrase that... I'm pretty sure I'm getting the new camera, but I'm struggling with what to get.

Right now I'm shooting with a Canon Digital Rebel xt; it's a good first digital SLR, but if I want to push my skills to the next level, I'm going to have to upgrade.

I'm considering the Canon 5D but I'm not sure if that's enough of an upgrade. In 6 months or a year will I wish I had gone to the Mark II? From my pocketbook vantagepoint, the Mark II is a bigger upgrade than I want to take at this point.

But if I'm not going to be satisfied with the 5D, maybe I should hold off until the Mark II is an affordable option.

Or maybe neither of these cameras are the ones for me, maybe there's another option out there.

Ahhhhhh, so many decisions! If any photogs out there want to weigh in, please do so - I'd love some input from people who are actually using the equipment and can give me some solid advice.

And because it's finally a beautiful day here in Eastern Canada, flowers seemed like the perfect choice for today's pictures.

Happy Saturday!

6 comments:

  1. I shoot w my mouth, but your shots are so much more effective :). Unfortunately, I cannot comment on equipment. smh

    ReplyDelete
  2. come over to the light side...switch to Nikon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. kare, i've battled with this question myself but after attending a few workshops with established photographers and blog stalking the big guys i found out that they are all perfectly happy w the 5D especially the new version. if you are serious about moving into the industry (particularly weddings) you will want the movie feature that the 5D mkII offers. but if you can't afford it yet and still want an upgrade maybe you should consider the 50D instead which was based on the old 5D only with a crop factor.

    p.s. i've got an xti myself and am looking forward to making the jump

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kare! Thanks for the comment on my blog :)

    As far as camera's go....I ditto Mary, as I'm a Nikon shooter also. :) nah....in all seriousness though, photogs are always upgrading camera body's as newer one's come to market, so I think go with what you can afford as the 5D is a great pro camera, and then keep upgrading. I'd invest in some great lens as that is what really makes or breaks the quality of your photos. Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kare, I think you push your skills by learning more about the technical side of photography and trying new things! Not through buying new gear. The 5D is a great camera (I have it!) but I also had the digital rebel when I first started out. My shots didn't improve until *I* improved :)

    Take care,
    Lori Moss

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kare!
    I saw your comment on my blog and headed over to yours :)

    I shoot Canon. I started with the rebel xti and still use it for my own personal things here and there. But i shoot primarily with a 20d. Lori is right in that you can improve your pictures a LOT with practice, but good equipment is important as well. My personal suggestion would be to invest in a better camera body (the 5d is an amazing camera! and even the 20d, 30d or 40d are great too) but really invest in some great lenses. That's what makes the BIGGEST difference. I love the prime lenses with low apertures... even if you can get one that is a 1.8 (which is more affordable than the 1.2 or 1.4) it will make a huge difference. I highly recommend the 50mm. That's what I use for most of my shoots. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete