Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What's In a Session - Babies


I've discovered that I love love love doing baby sessions. I'm not sure why that is but I find I love getting a sneak peak into new family dynamics and seeing first-time parents as they deal with diaper changes, feedings, and new baby reactions.


So how does a Baby Session work? There are a lot of factors...


When? That's up to you. Any time from when your bundle of joy makes their first appearance (um, I don't really want to be in the delivery room with you, though), through their first year. I think the sooner, the better. You don't want to miss out on that newborn look and feel that only lasts for so long. But whatever stage you pick, you'll get something unique: the sweetness of the newborn baby, the expressiveness as they're learning to sit up on their own, or the joy as they take their first steps.


How long? I tend to schedule Baby Sessions for about two hours - we may not take that long, but I don't want any of us to feel rushed in case it does. We make time for feedings, changes, and playtime. You should note, I don't stop for feedings; it's such a tender time and always makes for intimate photos. If you're breastfeeding, I'll ask first before shooting - not too worry, they're tasteful and discrete and you get to decide who sees them.


What to wear? For Mom and Dad, something comfortable without a lot of logos or distractions. You can dress up or down, or even change in the middle of the shoot. As for baby, you probably have lots of adorable outfits - not to worry, we can use several of them. If it's a newborn, I like to start with some undressed shots of the baby so it's best not to have baby all dolled up when I arrive - perhaps just in a diaper and a onesy. Remember to have extra outfits on hand just in case.


Location, location, location... Again, the location is up to you. I like to take shots of the baby in your home and will use several locations - your room (little baby on a big bed, always adorable!), baby's room, living room, back yard, wherever. Of course, if you want to head to the local park or another area that's meaningful to your family, let's do it (we'll work in the shade to protect baby).


Who? That can be a tough one. Baby and parents, of course. Are there siblings? We can focus on the baby but get shots with the older siblings and everyone together as a family. If the shoot is just for baby and parents, it might be best to have the older siblings out on an excursion with Grandma.


That should answer some of your questions. Of course, we'll go over all the details before we do the shoot so if there are any more questions, just let me know.




~Kare~


~~~~


1 comment: