Thursday, May 26, 2011

Things I Love: Spinach & Nutty Maple Salad, Stayner's Wharf | Halifax, NS

We've spent quite a bit of time downtown since I've started my cancer journey.   Our trips to the hospital usually end up with a meal somewhere - Smitty's, Westcliff, Swiss Chalet.  How better to sort out the massive amounts of information we're usually given than to fill ourselves up and talk it out.

After one of my radiation treatments, Jason and I decided to ignore the rainy weather - we grabbed our umbrellas and headed to the waterfront for a little stroll and lunch at Stayner's Wharf.  With hungry bellies we decided to order an appetizer, but I left the final decision up to Jason, "You pick, order whatever you want."  He picked the Spinach & Nutty Maple Salad.

Now, if you know anything about me, you likely know that I don't have a terribly adventurous palette.  I mean, come on, I spent three weeks touring Asia and ordered French Fries at every possible opportunity.  

The Spinach & Nutty Maple Salad description reads:  Fresh baby spinach drizzled with a light maple dressing and topped with red onion, goat cheese, pickled beets and maple glazed walnuts.

It was fantastic.  I can't even describe the magical flavours of the maple dressing, pickled beets and maple glazed walnuts.  While it didn't sound terribly appealing to me moments before, I now couldn't eat it fast enough.  Jason slowed down and savoured every bit - since we were sharing, I think I got the better part of the deal.  You snooze, you lose!

Do yourself a favour and try it - then let me know how you liked it.





...Kare
email:  karenk{at}eastlink.ca

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. Hope I get to sample it next month when I'm in Halifax. I'll tell them you sent me! Love ya', Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you it is delicious lucky I did not have to share.

    ReplyDelete