Friday, June 10, 2011

My Radiation Team | Halifax, NS Breast Cancer Patient

My radiation team has been fabulous.  They have been kind, friendly, warm, and funny.  They have done their jobs professionally, yet with a smile.  That in itself made a huge difference.

It is not the most obviously normal thing to do - to strip off part of your clothing, lay yourself bare, and have strangers stare and then poke and prod at you.  But the team made the awkward... well, still awkward, but less embarrassing ;-).  While I dealt with their sometimes cold hands (you know who you are!), they dealt with my lame attempts at humour and breaking the ice (while they crowded around staring at my chest, I suggested that I normally expect dinner before showing the girls off).

They asked me how I was doing, checked out my skin, offered advice.  They remembered me and made me feel like I wasn't just another person rolling through their day.

Rhonda, Adam, Sheri, Keltie, Katie, Jenna, Lisa and Shawn (arggggghhhh I feel as though I'm forgetting someone!) - thank you, thank you, thank you.  I hope you always remember that you made a difference to me and my treatment, as I'm sure you have with many others.  I, too, hope I never see you again; but, I know that if I do, I will be in good hands.

For others going through radiation treatments in Halifax, I hope you get some of my team, they'll take good care of you.

xoxo

...Kare
email:  karenk{at}eastlink.ca

1 comment:

  1. we always have angels watching over us :) love, smh

    ReplyDelete